Searching for information on Lionel "Spike" Robson

Home Forums Other Searching for information on Lionel "Spike" Robson

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  brian lyons 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

steverobson

Hi there, my name is Steve Robson and I am Lionel “Spike” Robson’s son. He was a wrestler in Northern England, Manchester during the late 50’s and early 60’s. He was a friend of Arthur Oppenshaw (also a wrestler) and immigrated to Australia in 1965.

I’m just after any memories, paraphernalia, records and photos that anybody might have relating to him or his bouts. We have very little documentation of this time and he’s turning 80 in February, and I would love to surprise him with old newspaper clippings and the like.

He has kept very quiet about his past after a shocking experience wrestling Jack Beaumont in 1963 which ended very tragically. Therefore we just don’t have much in the way of memories. Any kind of help or assistance would be great. Thanks.

nunda

>mate i can remember watching your dad and arthur openshew wrestling in sydney in the late 70ths.no paint on there faces or snakes rapped around there bodies just good wrestling-.nunda

brian lyons

My name is Brian Lyons. I am your Dads cousin. My mother was Grandma Hilda s sister. I lived at your grans after my Mum died. She lived on Bolton Rd in the 60s. Your Dad and his Auntie Betty also lived there. I used to go to wrestling matches with your Dad. He had a gym in the cellar where his wrestling friends used to come to practise. I also remember Arthur Openshaw he was a nice chap. Your Dad was a fit man he also played rugby and was frequently featured in Salford Reporter. I remember him going to Australia with his pal Peter the chef. Im now 73 yrs old. Hope to hear from you,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.