Questions about The Duke of Danger

Home Forums Wrestling British Wrestling Questions about The Duke of Danger

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  scouseoddysey 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

PCmor

Forgive me if these are silly questions. I’m located in the United States but I enjoy learning about wrestling from all over the world. I was looking up information on a couple of other recent British stars and I came across The Duke of Danger, but I’ve found very little specific about him.

Can someone please describe his specialty moves — the Scoundrel Smasher, Peasant Dreams and the Pheasant (or was it Peasant) Plucker?

From what I have been able to find, I’m gathering he did a snob gimmick and was the leader of a heel faction. Is that correct? Did he do much actual in-ring work and, if so, what was his style (tough heel, blatant cheater, pretty boy, etc.)? Is he a big guy, light heavyweight, middleweight?

Is he still in wrestling?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me.

PCmor

davidmantell

The “Duke Of Danger” was tag partner to Andy Simmons in the tag team “Hampton Court” during his spell with the “new school” (read: Americanized) FWA promotion circa 2004, when Andy was billed as just Simmons and was doing a dreadful Butler gimmick. The duo also had a valet called Buttercup and had a run as tag team champions. As far as I’m aware they worked mostly as blue-eyes (babyfaces).

I recall seeing them in action at one of the Coventry Skydome shows. Basically the team was a terrible gimmick based on American stereotypes of the British, which just aggravated people since the british do not have that stereotype of themselves. It went down as well as having an American wrestler doing an American gimmick in the US and being a fat balding loud tourist in shorts and sunglasses who goes round mispronouncing the name of all the tourist traps in town. Only the FWA would be daft enough to try to foist such a team onto the British public and it shows the stupid lengths to which that promotion would try to “Americanize” itself.

Needless to say, Andy Simmons never performed the butler gimmick for any other promotion. I’ve no idea what other gimmicks the Duke himself ever wrestled under.

I thought Andy Simmons got over with the Butler gimmick. He had a count out victory over Paul Birchill while Burchill was being pushed as a Golderg type.

PCmor
    It went down as well as having an American wrestler doing an American gimmick in the US and being a fat balding loud tourist in shorts and sunglasses who goes round mispronouncing the name of all the tourist traps in town.

Actually, the way wrestling has become a lot of places here in the U.S., I could see that working.

Big Rob

I have to say that I think you’re wrong, David. Having gone to pretty much every FWA show at the time (at least in the Broxbourne/London areas), I can tell you that Simmonz as the butler was probably the most over person on the roster. The crowd exploded when he and the Duke won the tag team titles, and whilst the Duke wasn’t as popular, he still got a good reaction.

Oh, and Hampton Court began as heels, with Simmonz quickly gaining the fans support. The Duke turned face by attacking The Family, I believe.

Also as the Butler he was part of a storyline were Greg Lambert and Drew McDonald tried to get him to join the Family stable, with Drew helping him get a countout victory over Birchill.

He was most definatly a FWA success story, and now he looks like a bit like Davey Boy Smith (body wise) , i can see him going on to better things.

davidmantell

I just found the gimmick toe-curlingly awful. “We are FWA, we do Biggerbetterbadder Wild American Wrestling, we simply MUST have a William Regal style stereotype-the-Brits gimmick on the books

It’s worth bearing in mind that Andy Simmons had a lot of credibility earned away from the gimmick. I notice with interest no-one else seems to know what else the wrestler playing the Duke ever did, despite him being the subject of this thread. Did he do *anything* else?

Hes definatley more over and credible now as one half of the Hated Heroes on RQW television.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.