Memories of Mal "King Kong" Kirk

Home Forums Wrestling British Wrestling Memories of Mal "King Kong" Kirk

Tagged: 

This topic contains 41 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Rock Rims 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

jonnyrepp

jonnyrepp

Next year will see the 20th anniversary of Mal’s untimely death.

I was hoping that some of the very knowledgeable fans on this forum will be willing to pass any comments or memories about the wrestler and the man. Do you remember any particular matches he had? Did you ever meet him? Did anything funny happen at one of his matches? If possible, could you avoid chatting about the accident?

Comments especially welcome from any wrestlers who knew him and the Seniles, of course!

Many thanks for all contributions. :)

NorfolkSnake

Saw him in some cracking bouts with Dave Taylor during his latter years, wrestling for Dixon at Norwich. Live and against an opponent with the calibre of Taylor he was much better than when he wrestled in Big D tag matches on the telly. The last time I saw him at Norwich it was against Jamaica Kid George Burgess – it was a great match although slightly marred on hindsight due to Kirk continually bellowing out in his broad Yorkshire accent for George to ‘get up you black b*****d’, presumably it must have been tounge in cheek as I could n’t really imagine Kirk being overtly racist. Needless to say it provided even more heat than his normal appearances – good job he was n’t wrestling Johnny Kincaid as we all know what happened to a Norwich punter when he shouted out the same abuse to that very accomplished coloured heavyweight !

Mals Lass

Thanks for the response NorfolkSnake

jonnyrepp posted this thread as a favour to me as I’m Mal’s daughter & was trying to find info out about him so I really value anybody’s memories as I have few of my own

LOL yeah his “racist” remarks will have been for added hype or intensity as I know he wasn’t racist & made friends with most of the locals whilst he was out on a trip to South Africa.

My mum told me that often when they were out drinking around our local pubs my dad would be required to kick off if a future opponent walked in, play to the crowd by staging mock fights, throwing pints over them etc to build up tension! I can imagine it was quite annoying when all he wanted was a few (well several) quiet pints, but it’s all part of the job I suppose!

I really would appreciate any other comments/memories about my dad, good or bad! I won’t be offended, I know he won’t have been perfect, who is? LOL

Thanks & best wishes

Tony

Tony

Tony

Tony

Tony

Tony

Tony

Simon Waters

I’ve posted this before under the autographs thread I think. You’ll find more comments about him there.

This was taken weeks before Mals death at the Bournemouth Pavillion. Great guy, not what I expected and took time to chat with me and my parents.

An unsung hero from the great years.

banger

to Mals Lass,

your dad was one of my dearest freinds in the wrestling business i tagged with him many many times we went to Zambia together along with Tony St Clair i was very ill over there and mucky bless him took great care of me.I went to see Iona just after his death to give her a £1000 which i raised for her and the kids i remember taking the two children to the toy shop i recall the little boy was Stephen was you the little girl.You must always be proud of your father as he was one of the most sincere men i have met in my life.you can contact me through my website http://www.bangerwalsh.co.uk.

banger

further to my previous comment Mals son if not Stephen it was Christopher.I heard tht he passed away not long after Mal was that true or a horrible rumour.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.