LDN features Brian Maxine – British Middleweight Champion?

Home Forums Wrestling British Wrestling LDN features Brian Maxine – British Middleweight Champion?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Old David 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Old David

Old David

LDN featured Brian ‘Goldbelt’ Maxine in their TV presentation last weekend.

Apart from appearing in great condition for such a veteran he did appear to be wearing and claiming the current British Middleweight Championship, which it was stated that he has never lost.

However another website claims Jorge Castano as the last holder of the British title?

Are Brian Maxine’s claim and the claim of LDN correct; is Maxine the current champion?

Does this mean that two legitimate old British titles and belts now reside with the LDN organisation?

They already have Tex Benedict holding but not as yet defending the British Welterweight Title.

Come on LDN you appear to now have two credible British titleholders with some real wrestling history on your books.

Proper titles and ‘Spirit Rules’ contests. It all looks very promising.

I hear that we will soon be treated to a TV match between Tex Benedict and Johnny Kidd, under ‘spirit rules’. Something well worth any wrestling fan tuning in for.

Come on LDN, don’t bother wasting money creating new meaningless ‘toy’ belts; defend those older more credible ones that you already have!

Sanjay Bagga

Brian Maxine is indeed the undefdeated Middleweight champion. On June 23rd at the Central Park leisure Centre in Romford Maxine and Steve Grey team up to battle Danny Garnell and Stu Oddyessy.

Tex Benedict did indeed battle Johnny Kidd, in a few weeks time Johnny Kidd will be battaling Steve Grey at a live LDN TV taping.

I assure you the LDN British championship isn’t a toy belt lol. Jon Ritchie is the current champion and fine represensation at that. :D

For all of you whom purchased this month’s Fighting Spirit, it was announced Kendo Nagaski would be making his LDN debut later this year.

John Hall recently made his debut as well as Jon Ritchie’s special guest manager!

davidmantell

Brian did not lay claim to the title when he put the belt on the line in a match for Premier in 2003.

Brian was undefeated champion and still posseses the Mountevans belt, but Castano is the current British Middleweight Champion. Brian’s actions in 2003 made it clear he recognised the version being feuded over by Sanders and Mason in TWA as the then-current rightful title.

Hopefully at some stage Castano and Maxine will have a match to tie up this historical loose end.

Old David

Thanks to David and Sanjay. Two interesting but not surprisingly, conflicting answers.

Does Jorge Castano still lay any claim to the title? If so when did he last defend the belt?

Sanjay seems to suggest that Brian Maxine is the “undefeated Middleweight Championâ€

davidmantell
    Old David wrote:David is more optimistic and trusting than I in hoping that a contest between Maxine and Castano is a possibility. I see flying pigs!

As everybody knows, the real reason that All Star held a World Heavy-Middleweight Title tournament in 2003 to crown a successor to Chic Cullen was because I kept on pestering Chic on this board about it so they held the tournament just to shut me up!

I found it annoying that Sanjay chose to ignore the last 6 years of title history like that, but Castano has been champ since 2005 and there’s nothing Sanjay can do about that – except sign a Castano vs Maxine match.

If we all go on incessantly about Castano vs Maxine it will get signed – it will be 15 minutes of a show well invested. Likewise some more title defences for British Welterweight Champion Tex Benedict – who beat previous champ Kid Regis on an LDN Academy show for the title last summer.

Good grief ! :wink: :)

Would anybody be so ungallant as to estimate Brian Maxine’s current age?

60 something

Old David

It is interesting to remember that on another thread not that long ago we were discussing the decline of British Wrestling (again) and one of the justified criticisms levelled at those running the business 25 years ago was that the ‘old timers’ who were in control then held on to the power and glory for too long; unwilling to hand over the torch to the next generation.

If I remember correctly the ‘old guard’ were the likes of Mick McManus, Jackie Pallo, Mike Marino, etc.; who were accused of hanging onto their top billing and titles and being unwilling to pass the torch on to the future generation. This ‘next generation’ was listed as bright young stars like Adrian Street and Brian Maxine.

It is ironic now to see Brian Maxine at the age of 60+ still clinging grimly to the prestige and glory that goes with being considered the current “British Middleweight Wrestling Championâ€

Sanjay Bagga
    davidmantell wrote:

Old David wrote:I found it annoying that Sanjay chose to ignore the last 6 years of title history like that, but Castano has been champ since 2005 and there’s nothing Sanjay can do about that – except sign a Castano vs Maxine match.

As far as i’m concerned Maxine never lost the title he’s defended it loads and i’m sure he will defend it in LDN at some point. Brian Maxine is the British Middleweight champion- and that’s how LDN will recognise it.

davidmantell
    Sanjay Bagga wrote:

davidmantell wrote:I found it annoying that Sanjay chose to ignore the last 6 years of title history like that, but Castano has been champ since 2005 and there’s nothing Sanjay can do about that – except sign a Castano vs Maxine match.

As far as i’m concerned Maxine never lost the title he’s defended it loads and i’m sure he will defend it in LDN at some point. Brian Maxine is the British Middleweight champion- and that’s how LDN will recognise it.

Then why did he put only the belt and not the title itself on the line in Premier Promotions in 2003 against Johnny Kidd?

(As referred to at the time in THIS THREAD HERE:

http://1stopwrestling.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1341

Because he was no longer claiming the actual title – he knew the rightful champ at that time was Mal Sanders who around then was trading the title back and forth with James Mason in TWA.

The British Middleweight title was organised in the early ’00s by TWA and RBW and their efforts were universally acknowledged at the time, not least by Premier and by Maxine himself.

Anyway, Sanjay, if you want to sort this out, all you’ve got to do is book the match …

(you could even book Maxine to win his old title back from Castano if you really wanted …)

Sixty something, maybe; but I watched regularly through the 1960s and very early 1970s and I was sure he was established by then – I’m sure someone here would be able to identify when Brian first appeared on TV.

Please don’t mistake this for being insulting or negative; I thought he was always excellent value and may still be, for all I know ..

jnlister

Earliest I can find is April 1965.

Old David

If Brian Maxine really is the current British Middleweight Wrestling Champion can someone tell me that last time he defended that belt in a Title contest?

Likewise for the claim of Jorge Castano! When did he last defend the title?

Let us not forget Tex Benedict. He won the British welterweight Title from Kid Regis last summer has anyone a record of any title defence that he has made?

I would be interested to know who actually owns these belts?

For instance is the Welterweight Championship Belt the property of Tex Benedict or is it actually the property of LDN, his employer when he won the title?

Perhaps Tex Benedict could be persuaded to defend the belt on one of his many visits to this part of the country when he works for CSF, or would LDN veto that suggestion?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.