Bobby Barnes

Home Forums Wrestling British Wrestling Bobby Barnes

This topic contains 31 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  melvin_m_melvin 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

nightlight

I’ve always been fascinated by the change in Bobby’s image which took place in the late 70′s, when he seemed to ditch to the high-camp ‘blonde bombshell’ look he cultivated when he was with Adrian Street in the Hell’s Angels in favour of a shorter, darker barnet, a moustache and a somewhat tougher demeanour (as seen in his 1980 TV clash with Chris Adams). Does anyone know why this shift came about? Was it because the glam rock era was now well & truly over & his image seemed a bit dated?

Also, does anyone know when Bobby finally retired (I know he made a few appearances right at the tail end of ITV’s coverage) and what he’s up to now? Does he still run a hairdressing business?

nightlight

palais fan

A sign of my old age is that my first recollection of as change in Bobby Barnes was from a young fast, clean wrestler to Adrian Street’s glamourous tag partner in the Hell’s Angels team.

The later change you refer to indicates how a good professional wrestler like Barnes can present himself in a variety of ways and still be credible.

Pilgarlic

To me Bobby Barnes was one of the greats. A very funny but dirty fighter.

palais fan wrote:A sign of my old age is that my first recollection of as change in Bobby Barnes was from a young fast, clean wrestler to Adrian Street’s glamourous tag partner in the Hell’s Angels team.

I agree with this, except that, as a solo wrestler, Bobby was more of a heel immediately before the Angels were formed. At first glance, I thought he was Pallo in black trunks.

Barnes always “sold” his opponent’s moves, well.

Dave

Old David

I thought that Bobby Barnes was a great wrestler and one of the most underestimated of the WOS era.

He was unfortunately always rather overshadowed by Adrian Street who was always seen as the ‘Number 1’ in the amazing Hells Angels tag team; but Bobby was very special in his own right.

No mention has ever been made (as far as I know) about Bobby’s ‘side-on’ stance. The totally unique way he would stand, not facing his opponent or looking into his eyes, as they prepared to wrestle.

Most disconcerting for any opponent and totally original!

It served to underline the contempt he felt for the opponent, and if I remember correctly, this was always part of his wrestling style even before the ‘Hells Angels’ transformation.

Another feature was that irritating ‘bouncing up and down’ when his opponent was ready to wrestle. All part of the way that he ensured that he was the one in control of the ‘pace’ of the contest. He was therefore the ‘guvnor’.

I was hopeful that when Adrian Street went to America Bobby Barnes would then emerge as a top liner in his own right and maybe even grab himself a title or two, but it was not to be.

I suspect that his interests outside the world of wrestling made him less than 100% committed to his career and he seemed to be happy to make regular, unspectacular, but dependable, appearances as an experienced villain whenever required.

He was on TV this weekend in a tag match with another wrestling legend, Sid Cooper, and what a great team they were!

kendo4ever

[quote="Old David"]I thought that Bobby Barnes was a great wrestler and one of the most underestimated of the WOS era.

He was unfortunately always rather overshadowed by Adrian Street who was always seen as the ‘Number 1’ in the amazing Hells Angels tag team; but Bobby was very special in his own right.

No mention has ever been made (as far as I know) about Bobby’s ‘side-on’ stance. The totally unique way he would stand, not facing or looking into his opponent in the eyes as they stood ready to wrestle.

Most disconcerting for any opponent and totally original!

It served to underline the contempt he felt for the opponent, and if I remember correctly, this was always part of his wrestling style even before the ‘Hells Angels’ transformation.

Do you know, I have never thought about Bobby’s side on stance until you mentioned it. But now that you have, I’ve realised that if I ever envisage him in the ring, it is in a side on position, hands on hips and looking ever so slightly superior.

Thank you for pointing that out. :D

kendo4ever wrote:Bobby’s side on stance…

Much as I rated / liked Barnes, I preferred the “side-on stance” of Sarah Robins

Oo-er, missus :D :D

Melv the pelv

bobby baes was one of my favourite wrestlers

live in maidstone just few mles away from me for a number of years owning a supermarket at one point which whn he took over micj mcmanus opened for him, he then had a couple of hairdressing salons.

towards etirement he moved to the walderslade area of chatham, close to pete roberts and was a driver for a government department parttime.

from what i understand recently moved to another area of medway and was at the southern union a couple ofhips ago with crutches as was awaitingan operation – all those years of bumps taking their toll.

a very under estiminated wresler but a regula for kung fun and sammy lee n the 70s and 80s – i know kung fu rates him as one of his favourite opponents and best friends.

it would be interesting to hear from any other wrestlers thoghts abt the 1 and only BOBBY BARNES.

one fact which i think is crrect – only ever appeare in one big daddy tag match – a month before leaving dale martin to go to brian dixon

oops didnt do a spell check so few mistakes there – a need a ew keyboard

Yes, I would place Barnes in my Top Ten (without calculating it, prob my top 6)

Dave

I think The Hells Angels were blled as that as early as 1966.

But I think Bad Boy AND Beautiful were both attributed to Bobby even in 1965.

That’s surprising – but that’s history.

I don’t agree that Street was No. 1. Barnes was older, heavier – Street perhaps more outlandish. See the size difference below:

Old David
    Anglo Italian Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:37 pm Post subject:

——————————————————————————
    I don’t agree that Street was No. 1. Barnes was older, heavier – Street perhaps more outlandish. See the size difference below:

I hear what you are saying Anglo but at the time Street was definately ‘the star’.

Away from the ‘Hells Angels’ in solo matches he was topping bills, or at least on as chief support, in his own right.

Bobby Barnes was never as big a draw.

Probably because he was less outlandish, as you say.

I wonder how Bobby felt about this? Now there’s an interesting thought!

I think Bobby felt reluctant, that’s the essence of it.

Adrian kind of dragged him along with the bleached hair bit. After a short while partnerless, Bobby Barnes returned to his natural hair colour, and even grew a moustache. Very un-effeminate! Almost as if he didn’t fancy going the whole hog alone. A quick shower or brush-out and his temporary blue hair-spray was gone.

As if he’d been dragged into the gimmick – and then left alone to carry it off when he didn’t really want to.

Street seems to have carried on his outlandish ways in the USA far more enthusiastically.

During the Hells Angels’ reign, there was safety in numbers.

Old David

We will never know for certain Anglo, but your explanation fits events and my feelings about those involved perfectly.

I cannot fault a single word.

Well said!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Advertise Here
Advertise Here